The month of December is generally synonymous with celebrations and meals shared with family or friends, I wanted to offer you today an elegant folding of furoshiki (and its variations) for transport and bottle packaging, if wish you to bring a good bottle of wine to your hosts!
If you would like to discover other articles around the furoshiki , I invite you to consult the keyword " furoshiki » on our blog!
For bottle gift wrapping, you will need:
- a furoshiki with a minimum side of 70cm - A selection of furoshiki from 65cm to 70cm is available in store and on the e-shop if you wish to be tempted.
- a square of fabric with a minimum side of 75cm - In this case, equip yourself with a square of fabric on which you will make a 5mm hem. A wide choice of Japanese fabrics can also be discovered in store and on the e-shop!
Before folding the gift wrapping of a bottle, a basic knot is important to know, the ma-musubi.
The ma-musubi knot allows you to obtain an elongated knot , which can easily be undone if necessary. Here is the principle:
- Tie a simple knot .
- Pass the left tip over, through the loop
- Tighten the knot .
TRICK - Step 2 is very important because it allows you to loosen the knot easily. So, to undo the knot, move the left tip to the right in order to slide the second tip without undoing the knot.
Now that we've seen the basic knots, let's get to folding the bottle gift wrap without further ado!
BOTTLE GIFT WRAPPING
- Place the bottle lying in the center of the furoshiki to the left.
- Fold point C onto point A.
- Roll length D/B...
- ... so as to reach the A/C peaks.
- Fold in half placing point B on point D.
- Straighten the bottle and take points D and B.
- Tie a ma-musubi knot as close as possible to the bottle.
It is possible to make a variation, with a more elaborate result, with this same square of fabric. To do this:
- Place the bottle upright in the center of the furoshiki . Take points C and A.
- With points C and A, tie a simple knot.
- Rotate points D and B around the bottle then bring them back to the front so that they meet.
- With points B and D, tie a ma-musubi knot.
- Wind points A and C around themselves.
- With points A and C, tie a ma-musubi knot to form a handle.
TADA You have just transformed a simple square of fabric into gift wrapping for a bottle!
The explanations presented above come from my latest book on furoshiki , published by Marabout editions! It brings together no less than 20 different folds illustrated with talent by my friend Sandrine Thommen , simple and quick to carry out, for wrapping and carrying all kinds of everyday objects (books, bottles, lunch baskets, etc.) as well as some practical tips to show you how this technique can easily be integrated into your daily life!
I talked to you about it in more detail in the article “L’Atelier Furoshiki – Discover the Japanese art of fabric folding” .
To discover our selection of furoshiki colorful, go to our “ Furoshiki ” category !
I hope you enjoy this tutorial and will be useful for the end of year holidays. I'll see you again very soon for new blog posts!
Until then take good care of yourself,
Does the principle of furoshiki tempt you?